Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Today is Nature Photography Day

So this has very little ... okay, absolutely nothing ... to do with genealogy.  But since it's Nature Photography Day, I thought I would share some of my "nature" photos.


When I visited my mom in Fredericksburg, Virginia, this past March, she had created a little birdie oasis in her back yard.  I loved it so much, I decided to do the same thing when I got home.  So, 7 birdfeeders and probably a thousand pounds of various bird seed later, I now have a place for the birdies to come and relax, rejuvenate, and fill up their tummies - and boy, can they eat!


Of course, we get the occasional acrobatic squirrel who thinks all the seed is out there for him ...





This little guy has made tunnels under my collection of bird feeders ...


And little Fatty McFatterson here visits almost every day.  I think he lives in the bamboo ...


The neighborhood cat has taken subtlety to a whole new level ...


I don't have to go far to see nature in action.  All of these photos were taken from my porch.  I've managed to get some really good photos of the birds who come to visit.  The ones I can identify include blue jays, cardinals (one of them is bald), lots of finches, lots of mourning doves, some brown thrashers, starlings, and a couple of downy (I think) woodpeckers.
Bald cardinal
Blue Jay
Female downy woodpecker




8 comments:

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

The cat has me cracking up! Love the bird pics too, I rarely get a good one.

Anonymous said...

And those are just the critters you can see. Wonder what else lives in your yard that you don't ever see. I love your oasis and my side benefits from your oasis. Thanks!

Laura Aanenson said...

What a nice bird "mom" you are! The squirrel and especially the cat provided a fun midday chuckle - thank you for shring!!

Carol said...

Enjoyed this post, the squirrel hanging and the cat are so great for a giggle, always can use a giggle! Thanks. Your yard is very pretty.

Joan said...

Great pictures! Your backyard looks really good. The cat and squirrel pictures cracked me up!

Greta Koehl said...

Excellent pictures! We love our birds here, too - 6 feeders and 2 birdbaths - great entertainment for us and our cats (from the inside!).

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone!

@Carol - I wish I could take credit for the yard, but I just added the feeders. The yard (including the humongous rosemary "treebushplant") is all thanks to my "landlordfriendneighbor" :)

@Greta - my cats love birdwatching from inside too. Do yours chirp at the birds too?

Liz said...

Jenny, those are great pictures! That cat cracked me up! What a cool idea... wish I had somewhere in my yard for a bird oasis. But it takes all I have to feed the dog and three cats! LOL

Post a Comment