Friday, March 16, 2012

Yankton High School - Yankton, South Dakota

My paternal grandparents graduated from Yankton High School.  My grandfather in 1938 and my grandmother in 1939.  I had a hard time finding any photos from that far back, so I began looking on eBay.  Who knew so many people had picture post cards from Yankton, South Dakota?


Yankton High School was the first high school in Dakota Territory back around 1875.


I'm not positive when these photos were taken, since none of them have dates, so I've done my best to put them in chronological order.


This is obviously the earliest photo, since the addition hasn't been built yet.

These two are probably from around the same time, just different angles

This is what the school looks like today (since roughly 1996).
What a difference a century makes, right?


Incidentally, although he did not attend until a little over a decade later (he wasn't born until 1940), Tom Brokaw also graduated from Yankton High School and went on to receive a Bachelor's Degree from the University of South Dakota.  (Woo hoo! I found someone famous from Yankton!)


Wow ... this is my 200th post! 


Do we share any ancestors?
Please email me at lostancestors [at] gmail [dot] com

2 comments:

BrittanySudbeck said...

Hello! I graduated from YHS in 2010. Just thought you should know, in case you didn't already, that the most recent photo of YHS is not the same school heavily renovated, but a new one entirely. The old high school was re-purposed to become senior living apartments a couple years ago.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info Brittany! Did they build the new one far from the original one?

Post a Comment