Friday, June 29, 2012

E is for ... EXCITEMENT!

Special thanks to Alona at Gould Genealogy for coming up with the Family History Through the Alphabet challenge!


E is for EXCITEMENT!


It's official.  Hotel is booked.  Registration is paid.  Luncheons, workshops, and other outings are booked and paid.  My schedule of classes is (almost) done.  Yep.  I'm going to the Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) 2012 Conference in Birmingham, Alabama!


I've been to a couple of genealogy conferences in the past, and they were great.  But this ... this is like one of the BIG ones.


I am fortunate that I live close enough to Birmingham to be able to drive, so the money I'm saving on airfare I'll be able to spend on goodies at the conference!


I'm a little sad that I don't have any "official" research to do while I'm in Birmingham (I don't have any direct ancestors from Alabama at all - at least none that I've found yet) ... although, I feel pretty sure that I can find a library or archives of some sort to wreak havoc spend some time in.


In preparation for my trip, I even bought one of those little badge holders with all the pockets in it. I can't wait to bling it out! I think I'm going to have to take the seam out of one of the pen holders on the back so my phone will fit in the little pocket back there.
P.S. Thanks, WhollyGenes- only $5 and super fast shipping

I'm going to take print my state "badges" from my 1940 Census indexing and do something super fancy and attach them to my little holder.  I also have a couple of geeky pins I'll attach.  


I've already started packing.  Laptop, check.  Camera, check.  iPad, check.  Contact cards, check.  Flip-Pal, maybe.  Batteries, check.  Oh, I guess I'd better add some sort of clothing to the list.  Jammies too.  Maybe a toothbrush.  Hmm ... tiara?


So if you happen to be at FGS and see me (I'll be the one wandering aimlessly around the conference looking completely lost), stop and say hi!




Do we share any ancestors?
Please email me at lostancestors [at] gmail [dot] com

0 comments:

Post a Comment